How To Prepare Your House To Sell Faster For More Money
Every seller wants to sell fast and for top dollar. It takes careful planning and knowing how to professionally spruce up your home get buyers motivated. Here is how to turn your home into a selling powerhouse.
1. Disassociate Yourself With Your Home.
It’s no longer your home it is a product to be sold. Soon this house will no longer be yours.
Don't look backwards -- look toward the future.
Buyers are distracted by family photos and knickknacks. You want them “seeing” their own photos on the walls.
Like most people, you’ve gathered a lot of things you don’t use. Anything you haven't used in over a year, pack it up, donate it or throw it away.
- Remove all books from bookcases.
- Pack up those knickknacks.
- Clean off everything on kitchen counters.
- Put essential items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet when not in use.
4. Rearrange Bedroom Closets and Kitchen Cabinets.
Buyers will open closet and cabinet doors. Clean out any unnecessary items and organize the rest.
- Alphabetize spice jars.
- Neatly stack dishes.
- Face coffee cup handles in the same direction.
- Hang shirts together, buttoned and facing the same direction.
- Line up shoes.
5. Rent a Storage Unit.
Remove unneeded pieces of furniture to improve flow through rooms and make spaces appear larger. Leave just enough furniture in each room to showcase its purpose and plenty of room to move around.
6. Remove/Replace Favorite Items.
If you want to take window coverings, built-in appliances or fixtures with you, remove them now. If a buyer never sees it, they won't want it.
7. Make Minor Repairs.
- Replace cracked tiles on floors or counters.
- Patch holes in walls.
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Adjust doors that don't close properly and kitchen drawers that jam.
- Consider painting your walls neutral colors.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
8. Make the House Sparkle!
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down sidewalks and exterior.
- Clean away cobwebs.
- Re-caulk tubs, showers and sinks. Bleach dingy grout.
- Polish chrome faucets and mirrors.
- Clean out the refrigerator.
- Vacuum daily.
- Wax floors.
- Dust furniture, ceiling fan blades and light fixtures.
- Replace worn rugs.
- Hang up fresh towels.
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas. Odors are a no-no.